Brush-lettering Workshop at Stickerrific @ JayaOne

Hi guys assalamualaikum! Long time no see! Probably a little late, but I'm wishing you guys a happy new year regardless!

I was busy with my finals somewhere along the New Year's Eve and I thought that blogging would be the last thing on my to-do list (I know it's been weeks since my last entry hehe) since I didn't have anything remotely exciting to tell here.

Anyway, 2017 was great (ha-ha) but who'd want to replay another year again, right? For 2018 I'm hoping for a fresh start (wow, so cliche) and I'm trying to change for the better! Really? Hahahaha. Okay, okay let's be serious. In 2018, I wanna do things that truly make me happy. I never realised that throughout my life I probably didn't do much stuff to make me happy, most of the time I was trying to make people around me happy. That didn't bode well ya know.

Image result for brush lettering stickerrific
Credit: Stickerrific

SO! This post isn't about new year's resolution or recapping 2017, no no. I want to tell about my first activity for 2018 that makes me happy!

Okay after I finished my last paper, I stayed at home for a few days and then took a flight to Kuala Lumpur. I planned to stay at my aunt's house to spend time with my bestie cuzzie, so I slept there the whole time I was in Kuala Lumpur.

The real reason I went there was to attend a workshop! A brush-lettering workshop! At this stationery store called Stickerrific at JayaOne. I found out about the workshop on their website (www.stickerrific-store.com for workshops and www.stickerrificstore.com for a bazillion of stationery and planner stuff and basically a planner addict's paradise you're welcome) and I signed up a place for me as a birthday present, YAYYYYYYYYYY

Oh yeah I forgot my birthday was on 14th January hshshshs I'm 22 now! AND YEAHHH I'M FEELING TWENTY-TWO EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT IF YOU KEEP ME NEXT TO YOU


HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANT GUSTIN!!!!!!!!!! I wished him on Instagram and eeeee I'd go into a Grant-Gustin-rant here because he came to Malaysia last December and!!!!!!!!! That's for later ok let's keep focused on my workshop ok.

The workshop was on 17th January (a day after my Abang's birthday, HAPPY BIRTHDAY ABANG!!!) and after taking the train with I don't know, 15 stops I guess, I got off at Asia Jaya LRT station, which, I was supposed to take the bus to JayaOne, but I was kinda a bit jakun and scared so I downloaded the Grab app on my phone and booked a Grabcar.

I asked the driver to drop me off in front of Sushi King Express Jaya One area also, (of course, where else would I want to be dropped off, of course it would be my forever-loved Sushi King) and I ate sushi for lunch. Then I wandered around a bit searching for the lift to get to the Stickerrific store, and to no avail, so I went for my prayer first at The School building.


After Zohor, I wandered around some more like a lost puppy because I couldn't find the lift lobby as stated in the directory on Stickerrific's and JayaOne's websites. Luckily, there was this information counter near the entrance and I asked him how to get to Stickerrific.

I had to take the lift in the middle of nowhere (seriously though I had no idea where I was hshshshs) and pushed the button for Level 3 to get to the store. Once the door lift's been opened, TA-DAAA! There it was, the only store on the level, right next to the elevator.

Credit

The workshop started at 2pm and before starting I made a friend. I think her name was Piri, and she was the only one I talked to, aside from our teacher, Sze Too. We were all given three pieces of Sakura Koi Brush pens, a Pentel water brush (fine tip), a palette (with squeezed paints), 3 watercolour papers, a bottle of walnut ink, and a practice book for hand-lettering.

I took this picture at home, I left the palette at my aunt's house, and I donno where are the other two brush pens lol

We used the book to learn and practice.


Any brush pen will do, be it Tombow ABT Dual Brush Pen or Zig Kuretake Brushables (Clean Colour also can I haven't tried that one but I saw on Instagram and its tip is SUPER SMOOTH AND BAE). For this workshop, we only use Sakura Koi, and if you're a beginner, might as well start out with Sakura Koi since it's the cheapest brand compared to Tombow or Zig.

I've done some hand-lettering before, using both Sakura and Tombow. Sakura is easily worn out, but Tombow is mcuh more durable. I like Sakura because the colours are more vibrant and the pen is easy to handle, too, since it's shorter. I love Tombow, too, I bought most of brush pens of this brand in pastels and colours that are not too bright. Anyway!

First off, we started with drills. Sze Too showed us how to hold the pen/brush whenever we are doing this hand-lettering. Usually a down stroke requires us to hold the pen at 45 degree angle and a straight hand to do the upper strokes. We practiced the strokes first.

Ugh why

After that, we went to the uppercase alphabets. Sze Too went around to see our progress and helped and answered our questions if we have some. Most of the time she'd show us her own way of doing the letters (not strictly adhere to the book) and I would have this "Ohhhhh" face whenever she did her hand-lettering. SO PRETTAYYY


She also corrected our writings if we did it at an awkward angle. See my letter C up there.

We also did numbers.


Next, we did the lowercase alphabets. Personally, I like doing the lowercase letters a LOOOOOOOOOOT more than uppercase. I hate my uppercase ones, I wanna burn them all. K.


After 3 hours practicing the strokes, uppercase and lowercase letters, we were made to do a whole word. Practice and practice more. I could get some words okay, but some were still choppy and needed a lot of polishing still. Well, the key is to practice!!!!!


Then, after we learned to do a whole word, we were given some quotes to choose and write them using water brush! I really liked this part because it's new to me and I'm starting to learn painting bit by bit.


The two small pink ones I made at home, yesterday. Not at the workshop. 'Cause 4 hours was not enough for those T_T Here's the one I made at the workshop:

My teacher liked my dots!

Sze Too showed us how to write using walnut ink, too. IT. WAS. AWESOME! I really LOVE WALNUT INK! Basically I love inks lol maybe this year's Inktober I'll draw things using this ink???!! Okay.


I practiced a lot at home using the walnut ink, and I loooooooooooooved the results, although most of them are a little bit senget and unbalanced. And I still have difficulties doing a few of the letters.


The class ended at 6pm and I went around the store to check out the stationery and everything #planneraddict there. IT WAS HEAVENLY! Also pricey la of course the brands are all of high-quality and famous overseas. If you don't have time to go there, you can easily visit the store online.



And if you're interested with the workshops (there are other workshops available as well like Portrait Painting, Urban Sketch Painting etc), click the pixel below.


They also have Instagram and Facebook. I know about the store from my friend and since then I followed Stickerrific on Instagram.

That's me full of seriousness

After the class ended, I went to surau to pray and THEN AFTER THAT I WENT TO EAT SUSHI AGAIN HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH. Upon finishing my meal, I called a GrabCar to get me to LRT Asia Jaya Station since it was raining and I still didn't know where the bus stop was.

It was a great day for me, although a bit tiring since I sweat a lot but it was worth it!

Thanks for reading ❤

Comments

Popular Posts