Mitosis (a type of cell division)

Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakaatuh.


*literally Edward doesn't give salaam, but...hmm yeah xD* Hello! So today I'm gonna share some things on Mitosis, a type of cell division, learned in Biology class. The first time I met Bella was in Biology class and I did the most ridiculous thing ever by covering my nose when she entered the lab! She thought her hair smelled bad, but it was her blood. Anyways she's a vampire now, so let bygone be bygone.

I didn't want to stay with her in Biology, but... Physics and Biochem were full.


Yeah, that was what she said. So I ditched school for a week or two, drove all the way to Atlanta to meet Tanya who had a crush on me, tried to stay with her family, but realised that I couldn't. I couldn't leave Carlisle behind...or Bella. I had to face her sooner or later. So I had to 'endure' it, being in Biology with her. Our first conversation started when Mr Montana had asked us to do some experiments.


See the way Mr Montana looked at us? I was so curious about Bella's thoughts, since I can't read hers, so staring at her hoping that my gaze would tore into her mind was my best choice. I'm a creepy vampire. -_-

Okay, let's start our cell division now!

Mitosis is the process by which a cell, which has previously replicated each of its chromosomes, separates the chromosomes in its cell nucleus into two identical sets of chromosomes, each set in its own new nucleus. It is a form of nuclear division. [Thanks Mr Wiki]


The first stage of mitosis is PROPHASE. As you can see in the diagram below, chromosomes (sister chromatids) become visible as they contract and shrink. Centrioles have appeared at the opposite site of the nucleus. Spindle fibre starts to form and the chromosomes become shorter and fatter. (and perhaps cuter) LOL


Nuclear membrane breaks down and the nucleolus disappears.

Then, the mitosis of cell moves on to the next stage; METAPHASE.


If you have onion root cells, and a electronic microscope at home, please try it yourselves. Whoever finishes in a short period of time, I'd give him/her a golden onion! xD


In Metaphase, all you have to remember is...the chromosomes arrange themselves on the equator plate (or you can call it metaphase plate) of the cell. They obediently line up.


The next stage of mitosis is ANAPHASE.


In this phase, the chromatids separate at the centromere and migrate to the opposite pole of the cell.


Yes, yes, thank you Bella. Like I said. xD

There's another stage after anaphase, which is TELOPHASE. The movie extended to only ANAPHASE stage, so there's no still of us experimenting TELOPHASE on the onion root cells.


In TELOPHASE, the cell starts to constrict across the middle. Nuclear membrane and nucleolus are reformed in each daughter cell; one at each pole. Spindle fibre will disappear, and chromosomes regain their thread-like form. The cell returns to resting condition.

At the end of telopase, cytokinesis, the division of cytoplasm, occurs.The plasma membrane constricts around the equator of the cell dividing the cytoplasm into two daughter cells.

And that's MITOSIS! Short and simple. Mitosis usually produces cells for GROWTH, MAINTENANCE and REPAIR of BODY TISSUES. Mitosis happens to all the somatic cells in our bodies. Somatic cells are all the cells in the body except for the ones in the reproductive organs. These organs undergo meiosis. But I'm not describing in full of meiosis today, LOL. It's a long process and has parts (like Breaking Dawn xD).

Bye, everyone! Till then! Wish Fifiey the best in her SPM! I'm Edward Cullen, from Forks. Goodnight. :)


Comments

Popular Posts