FILM REVIEW | Maze Runner: The Death Cure (2018)

Assalamualaikum! Hi there, everyone!

This year is the final year for The Maze Runner series! I'm so glad its third movie is already here, I mean, it's JANUARY! We rarely get good, hyped-up movies this early. I went to see the movie yesterday with Kakti.

Image result for maze runner the death cure

RATING:★★★★★★★☆☆☆

The plot can be summarised in a simple sentence: Thomas and Newt's search for Minho.

I don't remember much from the second movie but the important details/plot were somewhere inside my brain along with some other rusty things lol, so watching The Death Cure brought back those details into the surface and I was able to understand the final part of the trilogy.

Besides, I've read the books, so, it's kinda impossible to forget the important things that happened in the books/movies.

The film opens with Brenda (the short-haired pixie cut chick from Maze Runner 2) and Jorge ('hor-hay' the father figure to Brenda) trying to hijack a train or something, and then we see Thomas and Vince (who? I seriously don't recall him from anywhere) doing the real hijacking. They want to rescue Minho, who's in one of the coaches, so they save that one coach believed to have Minho in there. And guess what?

Related image

Yep, you're right. Minho's not in there, and yeah the next thing we know, Thomas, Newt, and Frypan (the cook, duh, look at his nickname) go on a trio mission to search for Minho. They almost get trampled by Cranks along the way, and are saved by Brenda and Jorje (who appear out of nowhere, and apparently knowing Thomas, Brenda knew he'd go solo to save Minho, his boyfriend hshshshsh).

To know what happens next, you guys have to watch the movie. Don't read the book. It's different. But the deaths are the same (yes, there are deaths, get over it, everyone has known about the deaths since the books came out).

For someone who has been following the series (and read the books also), I think this movie is pretty okay, not bad. Personally, The Maze Runner series is the only series that I think have better movies than the books. Hence, that's why I say all of the movies are pretty awesome!

Although the pace of the movie is kinda slow, because HECK WHEN ARE WE FINALLY GETTING TO MINHO, JUST GET HIM BACK WITH HIS BOYFRIENDS ALREADY!!!!!

The excitement I had when I was watching the movie was because I UNDERSTOOD what was going on. It's never really explained in the movie(s), but I understood the plot (all of it) because I've read the books. The weaknesses this movie has is because there are a bazillion of plot holes, things that are never explained in any of the movies, but are brought to attention in its final movie.

Image result for brenda and jorgeImage result for brenda and jorge

I mean, come ON, who the hell are Brenda and Jorge (they were introduced in Scorch Trials)? Why are they suddenly interested in joining Thomas, why are they loyal to the cause? No one suspicious at all? Who's the people Gally (ops, he's alive yes sorry, I know, of all people right) is in league with? And why is Janson so annoying, and do you guys know Thomas and the Gladers call him the Rat Man? Lol.

What of Teresa-Thomas-Brenda? The hell, no one understood, especially Thomas/Teresa, like ????????? Such weak attempt to make them together but not make them together, but also want Brenda and Thomas to happen but don't want them to happen either. -_____-

It's like, there are too many things they wanted to highlight that they couldn't focused on just one, so the plot is all over the place. I admit that the actions and strategies in the film are good and super-awesome (especially the rescue mission part), and the characters are all well-portrayed.

Girls would think this movie is great because of 1) Ki Hong (Minho), 2) Dylan O'Brien (Thomas) and 3) Thomas Bradie-Sangster (Newt). Hehehe I'll admit they are all baes and they deserve to be together forever and ever and forevermore! The chemistry between the three is just... wow. If they (the characters they played) ended up together, it wouldn't come out as a surprise to me. SUCH DORKS!!!

Image result for newt thomas and minho
IN A RELATIONSHIP SINCE: 2014 (movie), 2009 (book)

Things I love about the movie:

1) Thomas/Newt/Minho's overly-attached relationship

2) BRENDAAAAA, cool and crazy Brendaaaa

3) The city (at night the view is mesmerizing lol like typical big cities)

4) The cruelty of WCKD - experimenting non-stop on KIDS & TEENS? I mean, I don't love it but I love the way it is portrayed that it makes the audience feel really really disgusted with them (or is it just me)

5) The ending scene where Thomas read Newt's letter (now you know)

6) The setting and ending and overall plot compared to the book - I enjoyed the movies but it took me quite some time to finish the books because the plot were slow and exaggerating, and also a repetition of place setting in Maze Runner 3. Actually it'd be cool, too, if they did that with the movie, but meh, that'd leave a lot more plot holes lying around.

7) Someone's death HSHSHSHSHSH


Things I hate about it:

1) Clarity of the plot: it's not clear at all. Like I said, they wanted to highlight so much, they couldn't decide which one was more important, so they just skipped details vital to the REAL plot.

2) JANSON - ANYONE WHO DON'T HATE HIM IS AS BAD AS HE IS KTHANKS

3) The deaths (YOU GUYS ALTER THE PLOT ALTOGETHER LIKE IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BOOKS BUT YOU GUYS CAN'T CHANGE SOMEONE'S DEATH?! HUH!!!) Anyway I also love this aspect of the movie, because not everyone can pull off one of the main characters' death in their movies/books, but James Dashner and Fox managed it so thanks for breaking my heart more than once :))))

***************************************

Can't wait for Black Panther and Infinity War and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom!

Comments

Popular Posts