UK Day 1: Alya's Graduation

Henlo everyone! It has been months.... and it's a new year.... we're finally getting a part two. Hopefully we'll be having parts three, four, five, six la eh. From here onward, we're gonna start counting days. Day 1 officially starts on Alya's graduation day.



After sleeping soundly (and waking up at 3am to pray Subuh), Alya and I got ready to go to University of Nottingham, UK. Alya dressed up in all-pink, and surprisingly I wore other colour than pink hshhshshshhshs which you could say I donned blue-themed outfit for the day. We got ready and then took an Uber to the university.

In front of Elly's house
The getting ready part was hectic. I mean, it wasn't every day that you graduated (or your best friend). I didn't bother to wear sunscreen, powder or anything on my face in Malaysia, but who knew I could pull off all of those in Nottingham!

ALSO, it took like a long time for Alya to decide what to wear on her graduation day, she was asking for opinions a few months back (looong before I arrived in UK) about what to wear *eye roll* AND OF COURSE NOBODY'S OPINION MATTERS since she's Alya and we know Alya asks for opinions only to disregard them all later on -_- (don't get me started on the skirt she asked to borrow from me)

ANYWAY, it was worth it since she looked so nice and pwetty and F E M I N I N E no G A NGS TER at all.

Alya's place was comfy. Although it was small (it's the way they live, I think, compared to us Asians), but I guess for four international students living together, it was great. There's only one bathroom and you can't get the floor wet or else it's gonna leak into the kitchen (the bathroom's upstairs). It was a double-storey house.

p/s: alya's housemates are all friendly, like they've known me for years.... upon arriving at their house, numi greeted me, "ipy!" hshshshshhshshs no one called me ipy except for my closest fwens

Since we were excited to go to the graduation, we didn't have breakfast (uh, or we woke up late and didn't have time to eat, that was it I guess ahaks). We didn't go together with Tahirah and her mom because they were gonna get their family members at Travelodge (in case everyone forgot, Tahirah's mom stayed at Tahirah and Alya's house, her dad, uncles, and aunties checked in at a hotel in the city, Travelodge).

Usually Alya and Tahirah and Numi and Mizan (the four housemates) walked to campus, but on this glorious day they decided to take Uber because... P R E T T Y D R E S S E S? hshshshssh

When we arrived at the university, we walked straight to the sports complex (it's like a very big hall) for the registration and the graduates to collect their grad robes. I never experience Malaysian university's convocation so I can't say much about the differences (yes, i never attended my senior's graduation because i'm lazy 24/7 guilty as charged) but I think the system here is far better than Malaysia.

Before the ceremony, we took pictures in front of Starbucks (which was next to the complex) and Alya and Tahirah got bouquets of flowers. I didn't give Alya any becausE I AM THE PRESENT FOR HER GRADUATION YOU'RE WELCOME anyway, I almost teared up because I COULDN'T BELIEVE SHE FINALLY GRADUATED one of us has finished her studies!

This is us. I look like her mother, and also who took this picture? not that I wasn't grateful but uhh

This is in front of the Starbucks and other cafes. And there's ACIK NOORSHAM

There were three sessions a day for the graduation. First one was at 8am, then 11am and then 2pm, and 4pm, as far I remember. Alya's turn was at 11am, so when their group was called to queue, we were separated. I went along with Tahirah's family and other graduates' families to sit on the guest side.

Tahirah's family wore baju kurung and baju melayu which was... nice :') I didn't even think to bring any baju kurung since I don't like wearing skirts/kain/dress - it's hard to move around.

The ceremony was not long, there wasn't any long speech. There was this graduation video made by the university and it was well, very touching, even for me, who was not a student there. I mean, if I were a student there, I'd be bawling my eyes out BECAUSE I'M A SOFTIE LIKE THAT. Anyway, the guests were given the graduation list books. Very thicc, since it included all students who graduated on 2018. I flipped the pages to find Alya's name, and there it was, under the FIRST CLASS HONOUR AWARD LIST

In case you're wondering, Alya graduated with first class honour in Bachelor of Science (Hons.) Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence. I'd ask her if she could make JARVIS or FRIDAY but she doesn't watch Marvel, so... K. Also, I don't think we're there yet. (Or are we?)

After the short speech, the emcee called upon the graduates on stage. There were quite a few characters and styles by the students. There was one girl who wore a witch's hat, which I think was kinda cool and would totally be unacceptable at my university ahaks. Also, there were those who got cheers and claps louder than the rest because they were famous. And then, there was my best friend... NUR ALYA AQILAH BINTI HASSAN!

Being a millenial, of course I took a video! What was the purpose of going if I didn't film her getting her scroll?!



Being there as some sort of a family member to a graduate felt great. Or does it happen automatically when you're sitting in the family's spot and seeing your family graduate? I FELT PROUD. AND TOUCHED. If I weren't such a shy girl (hihihi), I would've shouted and cheered from my seat.

Afterwards, when the 11 a.m. slot ended, those who wanted to take graduation pictures had to line up at the photography booth. Since it costed quite a lot (and I didn't think I would not be able to take photos with Alya in other ways), so I didn't go for it with her. But for her, of course she was gonna get her official pictures from the university HELLO SHE STUDIED FAR OK. Tahirah and her parents also went to get their pictures together. Sorry Alya your parents couldn't be there :(

Once they were done, we took an Uber to the Trent Building. At the time, I didn't know what it was. Apparently it's one of the buildings at Nottingham University, it's sort of the main administrative building and it's famous to the students there. The Trent Building's architecture is also adapted into the buildings at Malaysia and China campus, hence, the reputation? Or perhaps it's because the building has this classic architecture, with a clock tower, c l a s s i c.

Alya booked a photography session (a Malaysian photographer, also a student there, her senior I think?) at the building. Our photos at the Trent are much better than before. SHHSHSHSHSHSH


TADAA! These photos were taken by the photographer and WAIT, the robe was blue-black?! SCROLL BACK UP I THOUGHT IT WAS BLACK??? Must've been the editing and the lighting. Oh, well, anyway, Alya took quite some time with her photos along with the throwing cap style and everything. Tahirah and her family were also taking pictures together.

After that, Tahirah called Uber and sent her family (aside from her parents) back to their hotel. We then trekked down the path to the lake. Is it a thing where every university gets their own lake? Hahahahahah, Nottingham University lake got ducks and canoeing and all, the lake at my university lacks all of those. UM's lake also got nice things going on. Hmmm

Alya and her classmates took their photos together in front of the lake. Apart from the Trent, the lake was also a special place for them, I guess. From the lake, we could see the Trent Building and its clock tower.

While waiting for Alya to finish her photo sesh, I sat down and enjoyed the view. Watched the ducks, admired the landscape. The sun was blinding (it was summer what do you think) but the breeze was cool, so I could tolerate it. I was taking photos and videos for Instagram stories and thinking, "CAN YOU BELIEVE IT I'M HERE?" Ahaks.

Also, while I was watching people (mostly Alya and her Malaysian classmates), there was this one aunty sitting next to me. She was Malaysian, here for her daughter's graduation. We had a small talk.... and guess wut, she's from Terengganu as well, WOW what a smol world. Her daughter's the only Malaysian graduating in Psychology that year.

This is me and back there is the Trent and the bouquet was Alya's pinjam jap k

Soon after, we headed back home to pray and get ready for lunch. Alya took the time to go back to the campus to return the robe and cap. We got ready and headed to the city via tram. I FREAKING LOVE TRAMS/TRAINS/THOSE THINGS. And it got better because the view was magnificent. Yes, I love English architecture. But mostly I love the peace and tranquility in Nottingham. Even in the city, it wasn't hectic. It was very calming.

Being Alya and Fifiey, we went straight to the Pan Asia BBQ restaurant for ASIAN FOOD. WHAT it's halal so yeah. Also, I wanted to eat sushi.... idk we weren't in Japan.... I just - never mind. I ordered what looked like to be Salmon Nishoku in this picture, and a bowl of yakiniku with rice. Alya ordered nasi... lemak... K.


I also got us some hot green tea. The place was very comfy and secluded. There weren't many people except for this large group celebrating their friend/family's birthday. By the way, Alya left her phone at the house, so she begged to use my phone to record Instastories. We made videos, boomerangs and we were two freaking laughballs BECAUSE WE COULDN'T STOP LAUGHING OMG IPY'S HERE


We were matchy matchy with the tudung! Also, she borrowed my Aquaman T-shirt because all her jalan shirts were either dirty or packed for our trip.... Well, if that doesn't spell Alya all over it, right? xDDD By the way, I looked pretty in all of the pictures OMG S E L F - L O V E thank you Colourpop thank you legendary Silky Girl Pink Powder you're welcome Alya for the shirt

After having breakfast/lunch/dinner (lol not sure which since it was 6 to 7 pm already), we strolled over the city. There was a Beach in the City carnival at Old Market Square. And there was that thing where you got yourselves strapped on and launched into the sky -


I wanted to go on it (secretly I didn't want to but I wanted to... you know, girls) but Alya ABSOLUTELY didn't want. Also, I wasn't sure if the strap would fit me HAHAHAHAHHAHA k. We walked around Old Market Square (and bumped into Tahirah and her family!) and watched the funfair view for a bit before heading back home.

It was peaceful, people were there but it wasn't crowded and for the most part, I was truly in awe that I was here. (Now that I'm typing this, I kinda miss this place forever T_T)

Around 9 pm we went home. On the tram again! It took 10 to 15 minutes to and fro Alya's Little Sister home and Nottingham City.

That night, we both packed our clothes for the start of our trip! First stop, Dublin *insert heart eyes emoji* We tucked in early 'cause we had to catch the flight to Dublin at 7 in the morning (technically, we had to wake up early to hop on the bus to the airport).

Day 1 ended! <3 Don't stay tuned for more, because God knows how long it'll take me to write Day 2.... XD

Comments

Popular Posts